NOTE – Production-ready version 5.63 (as far as I am aware) is now available on CTOGoneWild
This version is a real departure from the 5.2 and before series, as I got rid of the dependence on IE for the UI – it was becoming a real pain, with IE trying to display first run screens, telling me it was not installed etc. Generally the IE object was unreliable to say the least.
Instead, I used a whole bunch of HTAs – This is nicer architecturally as each stands alone and can be modified as you see fit, so you can change the UI without changing the logic of the script, plus they run independently so if they crash and burn, again, no problems for the script.
Other than that, there were some more changes to make the “Run On Logon” code asynchronous, so it does not stall the user experience when provisioning them. You can find a full list of changes at the top of the autodomain.vbs script.
Finally, if you enjoy this tool and it saves you a whole bunch of time and effort, you might want to send me something from my Amazon Gift List? Thanks!
You can read more about the current version on my previous blog on this topic.
I finally got around to posting ToastCache to my CTOGoneWild site. This is a simple script which uses a couple of tricks, and a kludge to force the EEM v5 Name index to rebuild on demand.
The EEM Name Index is one of the most useful performance enhancements you can enable within the product – certainly any database running more than 2000 machines needs it turned on to give reasonable performance. The Index speeds up Name>ID resolution. Without it, the server has to crawl the entire database searching for an object which matches the name it’s looking for – This means that logging on slows down for new users (they are placed at the end of the db), and also creating new things takes more time (as the DB has to be trawled end-to-end looking to see if the name is already in use).
The index resolves both of these, and more scenarios by maintaining a “bucket list” of hashed names>IDs. Read more…
I was working on a HTA tool this week, and to make things easier I wanted to encapsulate another HTA within it – really I just didn’t want to have to send two files to the user, I wanted everything in one, and rather than take the obvious approach of putting them both into a self-extracting zip, I decided to work out how to include the code of File B in File A.
Note – you can find the test files for this article on my companion site, CTOGoneWild
Pretty easy stuff I thought, just split B up into a string, and include a simple routine to write it out to the temp directory
1 : Dim s : s="Some text to output to a file" &_ 2 : " which is more than one line and go" &_ 4 : "es on a bit." 6 : Dim fso: Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.filesystemobject") 8 : fso.createtextfile("test.txt").write s
NOTE: These are now used in the AutoDomain 5.5x script.
I was playing around with Autodomain recently, and it occurred to me how awful, unreliable, and generally perverse it is to use internet explorer to collect information from the user.
Over the last few years, I’ve found that using IE as a way of presenting information to users from a VBScript tool is just fraught with problems. I’ve had machines tell me that IE does not exist (even though it was running at the time), IE has crashed, baulked, appeared minimized, behind windows etc. Generally it’s proven to be really, really unreliable. Read more…
This page is mostly machine readable by my various tools and utilities so they know when to tell you there’s a new version.
But, if you find it interesting, well, all the better.
Livelog|1.50|10th Feb, 2010|http://wp.me/pyGw9-cd| Asynchronous update notifications
EEPCFSExplorer|1.09|10th Feb 2010|http://mcafee-int.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-1123|Changes to add menus and better error handling\nAsynchronous update notifications
ProductUpdate|9.99|4th Feb, 2010|No URL|Test update text\nwith\na couple of new lines.
EPELogReader|1.12|15th April, 2011|http://simonhunt.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/epe-log-reader-for-mcafee-endpoint-encryption-v6/|Updated to have a built in search for incompatible product messages.
EEFFMigrate|1.01|7th April 2010|http://planet.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1273|Minor changes to support update notifications
McAf.ee GUI|1.40|19th October 2010|http://mcaf.ee/about|Added ieSpell Support\n\nAdded the ability to enter a block of text, for example if you want to make a tweet and shorten all the links at once\n\nAdded the ability to expand all the links in a block of text
Last month Joanna Rutkowska posted a very interesting article showing a practical “Evil Maid” attack against the open-source TrueCrypt FDE product. The attack is reasonably simple, subvert the pre-boot authentication engine of the full-disk encryption product in question to add a password-sniffing routine, then wait for the unsuspecting user to authenticate to their machine and then retrieve the credentials at a later stage.
Evil Maid is simply hooking the pre-boot code of TrueCrypt and adding a routine to store the users password. Because the TrueCrypt code is quite simple, it’s a relatively easy thing to do, but the attack is theoretically valid regardless of this fact, just the effort to make the hook code increases with the sophistication of the pre-boot environment. Read more…
After attending this mornings Hacking Exposed session at McAfee Focus 09, I was inspired to recreate Stuart McClure’s “Scoop.pl” script. I don’t have Python or Pearl installed on my machines, but I do have VBScript, and I do have Primalscript, so it seemed a simple thing to create this useful tool which helps you get the lowdown on what sites are present on a given URL. Read more…